Because the work requires a special education teacher for more than education, administrators are for the candidates who seek the true experts in the field. If you are hoping, as a Special Ed teacher to be adjusted, you must be an expert in the art of adapting teaching, an active need to supporters of the student, a professional writer IEP, mine information about students with disabilities, and a private person committed to 100% is doing what it is to help all students reach their full potential has.
As with any educational service, I recommend you familiarize yourself with the kinds of questions in advance. Thus, the interview questions seem familiar, so that you will respond even more comfortable. They are a series of questions of general education as well as topics that are in demand for certain special ed.
Here are some ideas on how to prepare for the special education issues, which are made.
- Be prepared to understand and comply with all the jargon, abbreviations and specific requirements of special education. You should know exactly how an IEP and / or CST meeting will be conducted. You need to talk and act as if you are very familiar with the meetings of the IEP, the CSE meetings, study meetings for children and other committees for special education, have school. Understand how the least restrictive environment. Know what services and support to school district can offer and what not.
- Be sure that you understand and are able to talk about a wide range of disabilities. Familiarize yourself can be classified in the neighborhood with Asperger’s / autism, ADHD, emotional problems, delays in processing, speech disorders, physical disabilities and all other children of the disability.
- Emphasize your ability to work with colleagues. Special teachers are usually required to teach in close cooperation with and / or team with regular teachers. They will also regularly consult with the administration of special education, social worker or counselor, PT / OT teachers and teacher resources. There are a lot of teamwork in special schools for children with special needs involved. You must understand your role as an advocate for each of your students and their social and academic.
- How to use support staff. Often students need special education teacher assistants or helpers. Be sure you know how to support staff in a professional way to take advantage of the student. You do not want to be the child, depending on an assistant for simple tasks that he / she can perform. On the other hand, you want to be sure the student receives the full support he / she needs.
- Be sure that you are an expert in the differentiation. While all teachers should vary their teaching to the needs of their students, special education teachers to be particularly confident adaptation to meet the individual needs of their students in their ability. You can not teach a concept and expect every child the same work the same way do. You need to individualize instruction so that it is displayed so that all can learn from your students. You will not be able to see programs from the school or classroom materials and use them as it is. You need to show that you adapt your resources to the learning needs of their students’ needs.
Final thoughts: To have an interview with special educational success, you must be able to talk about, to understand how a lawyer for students with special needs, understand the responsibilities associated with employment and be willing to also to go to meet the unique needs of students classified as learning.